MyCIMA

CIMA Certificate Level C05

Replies : 37

Hi Im hoping for a little advice, can anyone tell me what they thought to the C05 course and exam? i have been exempt from all the other certificate papers and im hoping to pass this one at the end of july and i am just wondering how hard it is.

i havent studied since i left uni back in 2009 so im doing a weekend tuition course with Kaplan and would like to know how much work im letting myself in for.

Also does anyone know once i have passed this level will i get a certificate to say i have passed the certificate level or will i just get one to say ive passed the law one?

Thanks

Rach

C05

Hi Rachel I passed it a few weeks ago and have to say I'm glad it's over! There is an awful lot contained within this particular paper, tonnes of theory and a lot of the content is very dry. I would strongly recommend knuckling down and getting the book read cover-to-cover before your revision class taking summary notes along the way. Would also definitely recommend buying the study kit as it not only provides a good bank of questions but summarises each area of the book very well. By the way the hardest questions for me were the missing word ones - loads of these in the book but I did not get any at all in the exam.

Hi I would concentrate on company administration and finance and the law of contract these areas are the most relevant. Unlike the other areas these require application of what you have studied. Master the ethics part as these are free marks.

So much to study?

Hi, so i am using a study kit by BPP for fundamentals in business economics. The book is made up of 489 pages, im new to accounting and i really badly want to finish it in 2 weeks so i can study for the next paper. But two weeks sounds awfully small to cover  up the information from a 400 page study kit. So far, 2 days and i covered only 40 pages. Is it really essential to read EVERYTHING? Any tips on how i can cover it up in two weeks? Maybe revision notes?

CO5

hi Robert, i am hoping to sit for CO5 in September.

My problem is that i dont have a study kit and i can not afford to buy it anytime soon. Can you kindly assist and email the study kit if you still have the one you were using. My email address is [email removed by a moderator on 06/08/2012 as posting contact details publicly contravenes our community guidelines. Please use the web messaging system to get in touch with other CIMAsphere users - more info in our Help page]

hi, I have my exam booked for 9th of august. I have BPP kit and use questions bank from the disk.

I'm wondering if i'll have the same questions on the exam or are they going to be different?

i'm quite good at remembering question-answer, but theory is too dry and too large.

Hi Tatiana

I didnt get any questions that i had practised as i had the same thought. I went throught about 500 questions using my text book all the questions on the bpp revision cd and i didnt get a single one of them come up. I did ask my CO5 teacher this question and he said there are 3500 questions all selected at random so theres no way to revise and remember them all unfortunately. I was getting a minimum of 85% in my test papers but i only got 61% on the really exam as things came up that i hadnt really looked at i.e basics on china, poland, italy, france and USA legal systems along with other bits but if you know the bases to each part of the exam you will be fine. Good Luck for tomorrow

C05

hi Rach, I passed at 68%! everything was as you said: China, Germany, USa and Sharia law. the majority of questions was from Company administration and finance and the law of contract. thanks for you advice.

Hi Tatiana, well done on passing. Im glad what i said was useful good luck with your other exams

C05

well done Tatiana on passing C05, i too passed it last week with 64%! Like Rach my actual CBA score was quite a bit lower than my sample test results, but then it is nearly impossible to learn everything!

Buying 2nd hand textbooks

Hi Does anybody have a second hand text book + study kit for C05 that they no longer require?

Please let me know!

CIMA C05 Exam Help

I'm a self studier who really studied hard for my C05 exam two weeks ago and failed with 48% . I passed C04 with 52% .I really felt I was going to pass I did 3 different mock assesments and got 70% using BPP Study Text and CIMA Exam question Book so I was confident I would pass.

I found for some questions that the wording was not clear and for answers I didn't know I answered to the best match for the question. Any tips on passing the exam  ? I wish to retake in two weeks

CIMA C05 Exam Help

Hi Erhi i had both the Kaplan study materials and the BPP ones and i noticed a big difference in the way the questions are worded, BPP is american and their questions are far simpler and easier to understand what the question is asking and i find with Kaplan that the questions can some times be misleading, i suggest you really focusing on corporate governance, administration and contracts as they are the main percentaage earnings if i remember rightly and read each question twice before answering to really understand what there asking. Unfortunately im not a home studier so when things mislead me i had a teacher telling me what to look for but you only missed out by 2% so im sure you'll pass next time, if you could get a BPP practise exam cd i found that really helped and the flash cards, as there are hundreds of questions to go through. Good Luck for you next exam

Thanks Rachel

Im buying my CD on Amazon now and flashcards. Thanks for the Info

CIMA C05 help

Hi, have just started self studying c05 after passing c03. Do you need to know the example cases or just the underlying legal principles? Is proving 2 be pretty heavy going after the fact light c03 paper!!

CIMA C05 Help

hi no you dont need to know the case studies there there just as example to help you see how the principle has been applied before. good luck

mycima

Hi there, i too am going straight into C05 as I have exemptions for the other exams. All I have is the CIMA C05 book along with a question book. 

Can someone tell me if there are any other study tips, revision notes, practise exams in the mycima section of the website?? I have just logged into it and i have to say i find the whole website very poorly laid out and the relevant info is very hard to find. the 'mycima' section seems completely irrelevant. 

mycima

Hi John, I haven't used mycima page for c05 preparation. Lecture notes and tests from P&R kit as well as tests from BPP CD. I don't know if you you have these materials, but lots of questions help to get ready for real exam. No need to learn case names, just general principals& definitions. Good luck!

C05

Hi John and Tatiana

Have you seen the link for the Kaplan free masterclass, see below for more details

http://financial.kaplan.co.uk/TrainingandQuals/Accountancy/CIMA/courses/Pages/free-cima-masterclasses.aspx?utm_source=cimaglobal.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=masterclasses_s12

Regards

Petrina

CIMAsphere Moderator

similar story

got the cd passed it scoring in 80% bracket

got the revision kit scoring in 80% bracket

exam was nothing like either, regards to the wording and to the format of the multiple choice questions

Passed with 64%

my advice is you can't over study for this

by far the hardest out of co1/2/3/5

next up c04

Pass mark

Hi Guys,

I heard the pass for C05 is 50%. Does that mean a pass rate of 50% or a pass mark of 50%?

Thanks 

Pass Mark

Hi John

That is a pass mark of 50%, all CIMA exams are 50%

Best of luck with your exams.

Regards

Petrina

CIMAsphere Moderator

Incorrect Questions

Thanks for your help Petrina.

Maybe someone can help me on this one because I have been home studying and have been getting very frustrated with some of the questions.  

Q51 in the exam practise kit. What is the quorum for a general meeting of a registered company?

a) 2 persons being members of proxies of members

b) 3 persons being members of proxies of members

c) 2 persons being members

d) 3 persons being members.

The answer in the book states the min. number of persons required is 2 members 'OR' 2 who are the proxies for members.

But it gives the answer as A and not C when clearly the answer explains its both.  

Incorrect Questions

Another one 

Q67 - shorter notice than that required for an AGM of a plc is permitted with a minimum member of support of: a) 75% b)80% c)90% d)95%.

The give the answer of d)95% 

When i refer to page 207 in the study text it states for plcs AGMs it must recieve 100% member support whereas the GM only needs 95% of member support.

Incorrect Questions

Q93

Who will be liable for wrongful trading on an insolvent winding up.

Answer c) directors of the company. I'm in agreement with this answer. but then 

Q98 In what circumstances may a company director incur perosnal liability for the debts of a company?

a) wrongful trading

b) fradulent trading

c) winding up

d) acting as a director contrary to a disqualification order.

Answer d. To me this directly contradicts q93. 

practice questions

I also noticed in http://www.cimastudy.com/catalogue you can buy 

C05 Fundamentals of Ethics, Corporate Governance and Business Law Assessment Bank

has anyone bought this? Do you know how many questions there are in the book and whether these questions are different to the ones in the exam practice kit?

Incorrect Questions

John Jelly wrote:

Thanks for your help Petrina.

Maybe someone can help me on this one because I have been home studying and have been getting very frustrated with some of the questions.  

Q51 in the exam practise kit. What is the quorum for a general meeting of a registered company?

a) 2 persons being members of proxies of members

b) 3 persons being members of proxies of members

c) 2 persons being members

d) 3 persons being members.

The answer in the book states the min. number of persons required is 2 members 'OR' 2 who are the proxies for members.

But it gives the answer as A and not C when clearly the answer explains its both.  

It may be fairly poorly worded but the answer is definitely A.

Considering all the answers, C implies that 2 proxies of members isn't acceptable.

On the plus side I don't think you'll have a lot of problems as you are obviously putting in a decent amount of effort into the exam.

Operation level

hi guys, this question is way out of subject. But, i really need some help. I have completed all modules in certificate level except financial accounting. I haven't even touched or started it yet, but i'm hoping to do so by mid december. OP level starts by mid december as well, is it safe for me to do OP level without prior knowledge of financial accounting? Im very thorough with the other cert. level modules. Thanks a lot :) 

Operational level

Hi, i have just finished the operational level, i did all three modules at once i really wouldnt recommend you doing them all and learning the financials paper of the certificate level,with the F01 I took if you didnt know how to do something then you would get left behind and the phrase " you should know this from aat or certificate level so i wont go over it" came up alot 

With kaplan i believe you have to have competed all the certificate level before you can start the next level.

If you have studied aat before hand then you might be ok but I as your doing the certificate level i would assume not and it really does give you the grounding for the next level. Where are you studying because kaplans next operational level starts in february. 

Cima online study

I am using the Cima online study only, no tuition classes. The course says 2011 syllabus but the course material refers to the Companies Act 2006 coming into effect late 2009 in the future tense, all the information in it is at least 3 years out of date!

Are the exam questions bases on what is current practice or what was happening in 2009?

C05 Exam

In addition to that last question, can anybody provide at least an idea of the types of questions that came up? I've heard a million times that questions are picked at random - just a pity all of that seems to have gone out the window for C01 - C04...

In particular, Im keen to hear how big a part questions referencing specific cases are expected to play in the exam... (exam is tomorrow)

Many Thanks, and good luck to all.