MyCIMA

CMGA with CIMA Study online only

Replies : 4
Keywords: CIMA graduate, CMGA

HI,

I would appreciate some advice. I have an MBA and am studying for the CMGA exam. I am a Finance Manager and have several years experience working in finance/accounts and at strategic mgmt level.

BUT as I am in the Caribbean using a study centre is not an option so I was hoping to use CIMA Study online alone. However, after reading some posts on this website I am having concerns if this will be adequate preparation.

Should I also purchase additional study material from say Kaplan or BPP and if so what would anyone recommend? Did anyone find one more helpful than the others?

Any advice would be fantastic - I would love to make a great start to my studies.

Many thanks,

Louise  

CMGA with CIMA Study online only &CMGA Tips from past student

Hi LouiseI just gave my CMGA exam and I can tell you from my experience that CIMAstudy is enough for you to have a good grasp on the subjects and to clear the exam.

Even I had this doubt then I started thinking that I will give CIMAstudy a try and then purchase additional material if required. But I dint buy additional material as I found cimastudy quite useful.
Apart from above I have below suggestions for you :

1.       Refer all past exam questions and post exam guides. This will give you a fair understanding of questions that are being asked and what is expected of you. Under each paper (P2, F2, E2) you have the syllabus area wise past exam questions. Refer them as you finish each chapter.

2.       Use the CMGA past exam questions for your revision closer to the exam date.

3.       For me below were the most difficult areas for each paper : 

a.       In F2 consolidation of group accounts. I strongly suggest that after studying from your material; please refer the three series article written by Sally Baker. This will address most confusing part in consolidation that is consolidation for complex group structures and stepped acquisition. . I found consolidated cash flow in CIMAstudy little confusing. But the explanation give by Francis Braganza was very helpful. All these are available under F2 Study resources. (F2-study-resources/Useful-articles/)

b.       In P2, questions about learning curve and computation of learning curve in complex situations. Article written by Bill Brookfield is very useful to sharpen your understanding. You can find this under F2 Study resources.

c.       In E2, all most all the questions are descriptive. So it is very important to understand how much you should write. Please refer the post exam guides of previous exams for this.

4.       Do remember that this is a paper based exam. Last paper based exam that I wrote was five years before for my final year MBA. I had a tough time in increasing my writing speed. Please practice.

5.       Do not take it lightly there is so much study and the day before exam you will be at a loss if you do not revise well in advance.

All the best.  

cmga exam

hi mithun, thanks for the above suggestions. they are very useful.

i am planning to enrol for cgma and the same situation i am in. when do u get the result after appearing in the exam.

how many months u prepare for and is there more text to write or numerical answers.

CMGA

TANVEER BANDUKDA wrote:

hi mithun, thanks for the above suggestions. they are very useful.

i am planning to enrol for cgma and the same situation i am in. when do u get the result after appearing in the exam.

how many months u prepare for and is there more text to write or numerical answers.

1. Nov 2011 results will be out by middle of Jan 2012 (Jan 12 is what I heard)

2. I have studied close to ~3 months.

3.Please refer the past exam questions to know the question pattern better

Study time

Thanks Mithun for the great insights. Probably the most informative comments I have read on here yet! 

Just to get an idea - what are the study hours required to get through CMGA. Given the official line of 200 hours for each (P2, F2 E2) ... what are the actual hours you put in over three months to feel confident and prepared.

Thanks