MyCIMA

Acorn Live Online Study

Replies : 23

Has anyone had any experience of using Acorn online courses?

Wanted to book 7city again but they're not doing CIMA courses anymore.

Not been able to find any reviews on Acorn, and wasn't keen on cimastudy last time I used it.

Acorn

Hi

I used Acorn for paper 1 and found them to be quite good. The revision notes were very concise. I'd use them again over CIMAstudy as you have access to a tutor 24/7 for any questions that you have.

Acorn

Thanks Tracy.

I'm very close to booking 2 courses!! P1 & E2.

I'd never heard of 7city last time but found them to be excellent, so there is more to life than BPP and FTC!!

t4

When you are ready for TOPCIMA, give topcimapass.com a try, completely virtual and great personalised service.

Acorn?

So J McDyre, did you go for Acorn live in the end?

I'm looking for my E2 course provider, so I'd like to know what you thought.

Graham P wrote:

So J McDyre, did you go for Acorn live in the end?

I'm looking for my E2 course provider, so I'd like to know what you thought.

Sorry Graham, only just read this. Yes I did use Acorn, I will tell you how effective they were tomorrow!!

They were ok, not as good as 7city though, but a million times better than CIMAstudy.

Acorn

Hi I live in Australia and i am looking to getting my CIMA strategic level finished, what do Acor give that CIMA study dont except for the tutor, would you still recommend them over CIMA study? Which package did you use? Im looking at the Platinum kit (study materials and online) £189.99. Your opinion would be appreciated  thanks Sharon

Acorn

Sharon Watts wrote:
Hi I live in Australia and i am looking to getting my CIMA strategic level finished, what do Acor give that CIMA study dont except for the tutor, would you still recommend them over CIMA study? Which package did you use? Im looking at the Platinum kit (study materials and online) £189.99. Your opinion would be appreciated  thanks Sharon

I didn't go to Acorn in the end.  I was looking at them because they were physically closer and cheaper than any BPP or Kaplan site and I was looking for convenience and saving a few pounds.  BPP really bump their prices up for London sites, so I compromised and went to their Cambridge site instead.

Insaf college over Acorn and CIMA study

Hi,

Based on my experience - I've tried BPP, LSBF and Kaplan Live online. I've watched demonstrations of Acorn and Cima study. Currently I'm studying with Insaf college as recommended by some fellow students here and very much satisfied with them over other providers. I had a resit course with Insaf and feeling much confident than before. Specially, unlike other programmes, Insaf college gives one-to-one lessons and prices are also cheaper which is much convenient. CIMA study is not much quality.    

First Intuition

I have used First Intuition for P1 & E1 and I did quite like it. The lectures are very easy to follow, even in transit while commuting.

Also, the people in the campus seem to be very friendly in a almoust-family environment. Either way you chose to study I think FI are a nice alternative.

Regards,

Pedro

INSAF live online

Hey all,

I've used INSAF live online for most of my CIMA subjects and found them pretty decent and useful. very cheap price and good quality content including text books, kits and notes. Easy to schedule lessons too. Acorn is not live online anyways. It's just recorded tuition simulation. Only INSAF and Kaplan currently offer full live online courses. BPP and LSBF seem to be offering a 'small portion' of their course live and the rest recorded. 

regards,

Anna. 

Acorn Live

Anyone looking to purchase a high quality CIMA study package but without breaking the bank in the process, then they should have a look at what Acorn Live has to offer. I've been very impressed with the quality of the learning materials, and the high levels of customer care that they have given me right from the first day I purchased my study pack. 

I previously used the CIMAstudy, and like a few people on this forum, I found Acorn Live to be streets ahead of the CIMAstudy in terms of costs and quality - my only regret is that I wish I had used Acorn from the start. However, I fully intend to use Acorn for the remainder of my CIMA studies.

Acorn Live

Gavin High wrote:

Anyone looking to purchase a high quality CIMA study package but without breaking the bank in the process, then they should have a look at what Acorn Live has to offer. I've been very impressed with the quality of the learning materials, and the high levels of customer care that they have given me right from the first day I purchased my study pack. 

I previously used the CIMAstudy, and like a few people on this forum, I found Acorn Live to be streets ahead of the CIMAstudy in terms of costs and quality - my only regret is that I wish I had used Acorn from the start. However, I fully intend to use Acorn for the remainder of my CIMA studies.

Hi,

Do you (and any other users) still consider Acorn Live to be good value for money and good tuition?  I used CIMAOnline for F1 but didnt like it much so carried on using just the kaplan book and although passed I only got 50% so it was a close cut thing.

I don't have the funds at the moment for Kaplan distance learning who I used for my AAT and am currently studying E1 with the textbooks along with trailing the internet.  I am considering trying Acorn as they seem to have good reviews and CIMA endorses them which is encouraging.

Any views good or bad on Acorn would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jo

Live online

When it comes to live online CIMA tuition, I think INSAF live online is the best. I've used their services for my entire Strategic level and would be very happy to recommend them. INSAF service is completely different to what others offer. It's one to one - that we get a personal tutor to offer lessons. Live online - Can talk to the tutor and they use a wonderful smart-board to illustrate workings, diagrammes etc. Also have the ability to schedule lessons at times convenient for us. Pricing is also very cheap - about £14 an hour including text books & practice kits. Awesome. 

Anyone here currently using 7City training ? One my friend recently said she could not find CIMA courses in their website.

7 city

I used 7city online a few years ago, till they discontinued their online Cima courses, which was a shame as it was very good. 
I am now using acorn for t4, have used them before, not a particularly polished presentation but effective nonetheless, I passed previous exams with them. 

Acorn T4

Hi JMCD,

Recently my friend bought Acorn's T4 e-Book from their website and she was given the case analysis of "Papy Sustainable trading" which was the T4 case relevant for September 2011 exams.

Hope you're careful with them ;-) LoL 

Acorn really know their stuff

I took the plunge a couple of days ago and purchased the 6 month online access to Acorns E1 course.

I have to say so far I'm really really impressed.  The presentation is just slides and the tutor talking to you which ok isn't a "live" classroom but the tutor gives loads of examples to help things sink in and its really working for me on the first chapter im on.

Im able to sit down with my laptop stick me headphones in, listen pause rewind and just close my eyes sometimes to absorb the information.  The way the tutor automatically gives well known examples to explain how a topic works in real life is just the way I learn.  Im an kinetic learner so need to "do" or be able to relate the topic to something to understand it.

Big thumbs up to Acorn from me :D

Re: Jo

Hi,

If you're interested in recorded online courses, then LSBF is an excellent option than Acorn. Seems they've invested a lot in technology - so high quality lesson recordings and their tuition is also not bad. LSBF would be more 'lively' than Acorn simulations. Meanwhile, CIMA endorsement not always gesture the non-endorsed tuition providers are of worst in quality. CIMA Study itself not endorsed by CIMA under LTP. Likewise, many have had successful results using TCP for T4 preparation and INSAF business school for live online lectures after they had unsuccessful lessons with Kaplan and BPP like tuition colleges. TCP like, INSAF like online providers are not endorsed but still seem doing great. It's the individual tutor who matters most than a common brand name I think.

Good luck

Oh Just saw your post that you bought Acorn courses. Good luck with your studies :-)

Agreed

I agree to what Monika had said. I personally faced such a situation. I studied 2 of my certificate papers at the Manchester branch of a well known CIMA college chain in the UK. There we had a tutor who is really terrible and awful in teaching. Whenever we asked a question, he refers the text book and read through it. Never had the ability to explain basic concepts well. But the college for which he's working was one of the top two in the UK by brand name who throws a lot of colorful advertisements in FM and other mags :(

Acorn

Acorns presentation isn't nearly as polished as others, but they are very good when u need to contact them, and the voice recordings and slides are good enough. Whenever I've had problems, or queries on the actual syllabus, they've been very quick to respond. You also get access to the strategic courses if u need them. 

INSAF Online courses

I've not done any courses with Acorn. But have seen their samples in their website. Seems fine enough. After I stopped having tuition from that Manchester based college, I studied with INSAF business school and found their mode of online lesson delivery quite useful. Good & friendly tutors and cheaper prices. You get a tutor who actually conducts each and every lesson for you over the internet. So far so good & excellent :)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies,

It would seem its a case of "horses for courses" in other words what suits one doesn't suit another.  So far as previously mentioned im happy with Acorn and will use them again when I start P1 after my E1 exam in November.

What I like about studying CIMA is that you don't have to use any particular provider to sit the exams whereas with AAT they didn't have standard exam centres so you had to sit the exams with a provider.

:)

I think CIMA also has such a rule for CBA levels. Although it's not so in their rules, still, many colleges which have been authorized to run CBA exams allocate places by giving priority to candidates who had a tuition course with them. I think CIMA can't do much in this as they rely on tuition providers for computer facility. If this issue could be overcome by CIMA somhow, it'd be great :)

Yes. Different students follow different ways. While we talk about online courses, there's a portion of students who never find online a viable option for them. They need classroom courses. But I think in the last few years many have started using online courses either as primary or as a supplementary course. 

Cheers from Manchester :)