MyCIMA

September re-sits - the true costs!

Replies : 27
Keywords: BPP, re-sits, September

Does anybody else realise the actual costs for re-sitting this September?  Say, you were to miserably fail all 3 strategic papers, you're desperate to finish Topcima this year and therefore the new September re-sits look a tempting option....... Well if you chose BPP you need to pay them a whopping £735!!!

I spoke to them on the telephone and the £735 is made up of £120 for the online course per paper and £125 per cima exam entry.  The catch is you are unable to just take the exam in September at a BPP centre without booking the online course.  Talk about EXPLOITING AN OPPORTUNITY!  (I so hope I have passed P3!!).

In summary I think it is a good step in the right direction for CIMA but it is a shame that the tuition providers will be off-setting their "costs" on to the students.

Why can't BPP offer the exam entry alone!  Are there any centres you can go to and just solely take the exam without all the fancy add ons!  Also, why is the price for the exam suddenly jumped to £125 per paper? I have of course passed my thoughts on to BPP directly but would like CIMA's comments regarding this.

If I only fail one of the 3 exams then, although hefty, I might consider paying the £245 so I can move on to Topcima in November.

But my other worry is if I do pass the re-sit and you get the results on the 23.09.10 then is there enough time anyway for a full-time working, Mother of two to prepare for the TOPCIMA exam in November. 

I know you can't predit the results but I think I failed the F3 paper taken in May and instead of spoiling my Summer with a re-sit and worrying about cramming the TOPCIMA in to this year then I might just re-sit in November (cheaper option too!) and in the meantime sit back and read everybody's complaints about all the drama surrounding this new exam sitting! 

Good luck to everyone.

Cost

I saw the price of the course on offer at BPP, but had no idea you had to book that to sit the resit.

I'm abroad during the September resits anyway so I won't be doing them, but feel for those who are going to have to shell out that amount of cash.

resitting

Michelle,

I remember when I sat TOPCIMA that lots of times the computer eam spaces were initially reserved for people taking the course with them.

BUT if they had free spaces they would open them up to people who aren;t on the course. 

Maybe you could check if this is an option? In addition ahve you checked REED business school to see if they offer a computer resit without the course?

Cheers Brian 

Cost

Damn!

My employer doesent pay for resits :-(

I optimistically thought the £120 might include the exam entry - what a silly thought!

I presume the reason for having to book a course through the tuition provider is that BPP or whoever own the exam centres and all the computers etc, and only let CIMA use them if they make students book a course as well.

Dont why the exams themselves are more expensive, maybe the increased costs of faster marking period (3 weeks) or more likely that BPP are charging CIMA a load to use the centres.

Cant say I blame BPP though, at the end of the day they are a profit making company and are not a charitable organisation!

Optional

I'm sorry I read it slightly differently, the advert actually says

"We are offering an online course to prepare you for your retake exam.  Because you’ve already obtained the skills and knowledge from your first sitting of the exams, we don’t think you need a full classroom course to retake.  Our online course is priced at just £120 and offers you:"

It does not say you have to take the course just that they are offering you a course which they are bound to do as has been said earlier that they are a profit making company.

I'm sure the extra exam price is to pay BPP and other providers a fee (plus some for CIMA).

Pass Assurance

Do we not get the pass assurance for doing those exams at BPP which would pay for the course?

Optional

Gaz_WBA wrote:

"We are offering an online course to prepare you for your retake exam.  Because you’ve already obtained the skills and knowledge from your first sitting of the exams, we don’t think you need a full classroom course to retake.  Our online course is priced at just £120 and offers you:"

It does not say you have to take the course just that they are offering you a course which they are bound to do as has been said earlier that they are a profit making company.

I'm sure the extra exam price is to pay BPP and other providers a fee (plus some for CIMA).

Gaz, I have actually spoke to BPP and you can't do one with out the other!  If you want to take the cima exam in September then only the tuition providers can book this for you but BPP won't let you just sit the exam without taking their course.  So the only option is choose another tuition provider that don't build in a course or don't re-sit in September. 

Big Dave has a fair point though about pass assurance and I will have to look into this.

Thanks for the other suggestions.  :-)

Optional

Shellee wrote:
Gaz_WBA wrote:

Gaz, I have actually spoke to BPP and you can't do one with out the other!  If you want to take the cima exam in September then only the tuition providers can book this for you but BPP won't let you just sit the exam without taking their course.  So the only option is choose another tuition provider that don't build in a course or don't re-sit in September. 

Big Dave has a fair point though about pass assurance and I will have to look into this.

Thanks for the other suggestions.  :-)

If I were you I would try phoning again, as I just phoned the main number to ask and got a different answer, although was fairly hesitent when pushed.

I imagine you might have just got the pushy sales to undertake the course.

In terms of the pass assurance, I would rather save that just in case, as I would rather have a free revision course which costs £300+ than the online course.

Optional

What BPP are offering students

Online Retake Course (Mandatory in order to sit exam)

• Online product using a combination of new and existing resources to cover how to present answers in word/excel , key knowledge and exam skills, using question debriefs, guided question practice, marking service and discussion forum.
  • Priced at £120

Practice day on PC (Optional)

• Optional Classroom exam practice day to run through how to present answers in word/excel and also cover the key skills required at the Strategic level.
  • Practice a new mock with full debrief
  • Priced at £130
  • Any exam fee will be on top of the above.

Optional

Here we go there sales team actually dont know what is being offered, spoke to the person who I booked with originally and he did say that it was not optional.

When emailed however to confirm that in writing, got response that was compulsory.

So Shellee is correct and it is extortianate.

I would recommend that then everyone refuses to do this course with BPP and I have complained as well as I feel there initial adverts are misleading as "We are offering" is different to "compulsory" in my opinion.

However lets hope we dont have to resit.

I wonder what CIMA have to say in this matter however and would be interested in their response to this exploitation to students looking to pass as quickly as possible?

Kaplan??

Does anyone know the costs at Kaplan?  I have had a look on their website and apart from the London costs (£460 for the revision course!!) there doesn't seem to be anything.

I did read though that the pass guarantee would cover the revision course which is good as I don't think my employer would be happy to have to pay out more after they have just paid £4k for Strategic!

I cannot find anything about the cost the exam though for Strategic so if anyone can let me know then that'd be great seeing I have to pay for resits.

Cost

Steven Merrick wrote:

What BPP are offering students

Online Retake Course (Mandatory in order to sit exam)

• Online product using a combination of new and existing resources to cover how to present answers in word/excel , key knowledge and exam skills, using question debriefs, guided question practice, marking service and discussion forum.
  • Priced at £120

Practice day on PC (Optional)

• Optional Classroom exam practice day to run through how to present answers in word/excel and also cover the key skills required at the Strategic level.
  • Practice a new mock with full debrief
  • Priced at £130
  • Any exam fee will be on top of the above.

I had an e-mail from BPP saying that the £120 includes entry to the exam:

"Hi Edward, Thank you for your email, yes the £120.00 price of the online course does include the entry to the exam.

Should you require any further assistance or have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact us."

September re-sits. What BPP say!

Just received an email back from BPP and as expected it is contradictory to the Email Edward has received, I have posted it below (test underlined and in italics are my questions to BPP).  It would be nice to receive CIMA's comments ???? 

Good Afternoon Michelle Apologise for the delay in response.   

Why does your website not point out the cost of the actual exam as £125 per paper?   

As BPP don’t take payment for the exams it goes directly through your My Cima account like all the other exams this is something we don’t advertise on our website. When we are able to take bookings for the retake courses and exams we will have additional information and exam entry forms from Cima which will include full detail of exam costs which will be sent through to you as you are unable to book online for the Strategic retakes.  

Why do you not point out that this is in addition to the £120 you are required to pay for the online course? 

As the exam prices do go to Cima we do only advertise our course costs online I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused  

Why are you making the online course compulsory to the students that only want to sit the exam at your centres without the course options? 

As this is the first time we are offering these exams as computer based we believe additional help is needed for our students to give them the best chance of passing there retake. As we have been able to see the exam setup we have been able to structure the online material in a way that would be beneficial to all students. If you don’t wish to resit the exam with a course you can ring Cima to see if there are any exam centres or study providers which offer this as exam only but I do believe Kaplan also require you to sit a course also for the exam. 

Do you not agree that £745 is a hefty price to pay for a Student to re-sit 3 papers in September? 

We believe that £745 is good value for money to be able to resit your exams with out having to wait till November where there will be a new case study. As we have high pass rates and exemplary materials which is also being used by other tuition providers. If you have already sat the strategic exams with us before you may be eligible for pass assurance which can be used for our retake courses offering you the online courses for free.  

Obviously during the November sittings for re-sits you have a choice whether you use a tuition provider or not.  But the way CIMA has only piloted the September re-sits with you and Kaplan give Students no choice to cut out the middle man and to avoid extra costs!   How do BPP justify the reasoning behind these decisions?  It appears to me that you are "exploiting an opportunity"! Shouldn't CIMA themselves burden some of the costs for say administration costs of the tuition providers for setting this up? 

This is something that has been set by Cima and not Bpp you will have to speak to them regarding these issues but we do believe that this is the best option for all students wishing to retake there exams to give them the best chance of passing.  

Also £125 per exam?  Why has this become so expensive?  For Strategic exams in May was it not £70? 

Again the exam costs are set by Cima you will have to contact them with these issues as it is not something BPP are involved in   

CIMA number is 0208 8492251

I hope that this has helped with all your queries if you do have any further questions you would like to ask Bpp please don’t hesitate to get in touch.  

Lisa McDonaldCustomer Services Representative BPP Professional Education5th FloorBoulton HouseChorlton StManchesterM1 3HY ( 0845 226 2422 (main line)( 0161 244 6377 (direct line)F  0161 237 9650* lisamcdonald@bpp.comwww.bpp.com

an alternative to bpp/kaplan

if anyone lives in the manchester area, have you thought of enquiring at icount training (in the portland tower across the road from bpp manchester). i am sure that you can take computer based exams there without having to study there previously.

not completely sure but it would be worth enquiring, their number is 0161 228 6564

icount training

i checked with icount training in manchester and they will let people take their re-sits there without them having to have attended any courses with them previously.

iCount Training

At iCount we will allow any eligible candidate to sit our resit courses. BPP are offering only a one day course whereas we offer a 2 day alternative for £130. The first day is spent revising key topics and revisiting the Preseen and the second day is a full Mock Day using the computers in our PC suite. We offer outstanding service, facilities and expertise but we always cap our courses to maintain premium quality so places are limited. www.icounttraining.com

ICount Training

Andrew Booth wrote:
At iCount we will allow any eligible candidate to sit our resit courses. BPP are offering only a one day course whereas we offer a 2 day alternative for £130. The first day is spent revising key topics and revisiting the Preseen and the second day is a full Mock Day using the computers in our PC suite. We offer outstanding service, facilities and expertise but we always cap our courses to maintain premium quality so places are limited. www.icounttraining.com

Andrew, can Students just register to take the resit on your PC's without having to do the course?  If so, what is the charge for that?  I presume the £130 for your 2-day course excludes the cost of the exam?

Thank you.

iCount Training

Hello there. Yes the £130 excludes the exam fee which payable to CIMA. Students can sit the exam with us on PC even if they do not do the course - although there is a £60 administration fee to cover opportunity costs. Either the £130 for the course or the £60 for the exam sitting is refunded if students go on to book T4 with us. Simply go to www.icounttraining.com and download a booking form, filling in the details for either the £130 course or the £60 exam fee and fax it back to us. Be quick though !

iCount Training

Andrew Booth wrote:
Hello there. Yes the £130 excludes the exam fee which payable to CIMA. Students can sit the exam with us on PC even if they do not do the course - although there is a £60 administration fee to cover opportunity costs. Either the £130 for the course or the £60 for the exam sitting is refunded if students go on to book T4 with us. Simply go to www.icounttraining.com and download a booking form, filling in the details for either the £130 course or the £60 exam fee and fax it back to us. Be quick though !

Sounds good, thanks for your information and I will look you up.  I don't get the results for another few weeks so I don't want to commit to anything until I know if I even need to do a re-sit.  Just got a bad feeling that I haven't done particulary well   :-(

Reed - Are much cheaper for Resits

Got a flyer last night:

No ned to sit a "Refresher" course and only

£130 +VAT for strategic and

£65 + VAT for P1 and P2

https://www.reedbusinessschool.co.uk/binaries/1813900136_CIMANov2010BrochureWeb_01139.pdf

Reed are NOT cheaper for resits

MPM wrote:

Got a flyer last night:

No ned to sit a "Refresher" course and only

£130 +VAT for strategic and

£65 + VAT for P1 and P2

https://www.reedbusinessschool.co.uk/binaries/1813900136_CIMANov2010BrochureWeb_01139.pdf

Yes, but that is on top of the CIMA exam fee of £125 or whatever extortionate prices they are charging for the resit.  In fact the exact words from the Reed brochure are:

"For students wanting to take the exam only and not attend a retake course, subject to availability an administration charge of £130 + VAT for strategic and £65 + VAT for P1 and P2 will be applicable for each paper.  This fee will be in addition to the CIMA exam fee."

So in my opinion, you would be cheaper to get the BPP resit online package, as at least you're getting something for your money, but that is only my opinion.

Late Exam Entry

My concern is how it will work registering for the T4 exam. As well as £245.00 for the strategic resit will we also be facing charges for late registration for the T4 exam?

I had the following response from BPP.

As there have been last minute changes regarding September retakes and moving on to your next courses. Cima have confirmed to us that once you receive your retake results they will be sending an email to all of the students regarding the process for booking you on to T4 November. Nothing has been confirmed as yet I’m afraid but they will be updating us on this as soon as they can.

How to pay September exam fee

"The exam fee is £125 per paper. This should be paid directly to CIMA through your my CIMA account." This is the information posted on CIMA website...Any suggestions how to find my CIMA account and pay the exam fee...the only thing so far I could think of is "settle my account" option however not sure of this! Thanks for any thoughts...

Fee

The course fee is free if you have pass assurance so you only have to pay for the exam, which is £125.  bit pricey really.

T4 Resits

Hello Sertacm,

Once you have booked your entry with a tuition provider, you will need to log-in MYCIMA account: www.cimaglobal.com/mycima and select "My Financials"- "Settle My Account" enter "£125"in the box provided and select "pay now", this will credit your account with the fee and when your entry has been sent over to CIMA, an order will appear and the fees paid will be applied to that, confirming your entry.

I hope this helps

Beth

CIMAsphere Moderator

BPP change

Hi everyone

I see from BPPs website that there has been a change:

http://www.bpp.com/courses/examination-courses/accounting--finance/cima/study-options/strategic-level/resitting.aspx

"Can I book an exam place without enrolling on the online resit course?

CIMA have recently changed their guidelines on this so that you can now book an exam place at a BPP centre without enrolling on a resit course.  To do this you will need to pay a reservation charge of £50."

Shame I didn't know about that before I coughed up!

It just a thought but....

Dont you think this is a bit much?

Is it a coincidence that in a time of recession when more students are choosing to study at home to save cash, and therefore reducing the profits of study providers such as BPP that the most difficult exams have been set?

P2, with a pass rate of 38% has left many students facing resits. Not to mention E1 at 39%.

And what does CIMA do but point all these students towards these study providers offering an "opportunity" to retake an exam which shouldnt have been set in the first place.

On top of this the fees are almost double and BPP attempted to force students to take courses with them!!

I would like to know what is the true nature of the relationship between CIMA and BPP, it seems extermely close at the minute, trusting them to supervise real exams for the first time!

And yet BPP were unable to mention in their study material key changes to the sylabus which came up in a 25 point question.  Where was the communication when it mattered to students?

Re-sits

For home study students, if your not in a rush to pass or worried about the info still being fresh in your mind then Sept resits aren't a great deal.  You get the benefit of re-using the existing pre-seen material, but it also depends if you consider PC-based resits an advantage over hand-wriiten sittings. Its an extra £100 per paper minimum (£50 BPP reservation fee & £125 to CIMA - £70 retake fee in Nov). Whatever works best for you tho :)